Summary of the technology
Researchers at the University of Alicante have devised a system to partially absorb the energy generated in a crash involving at least one motor vehicle traveling at a high or medium speed.
It is a passive protection system for vehicles which absorbs the maximum amount of mechanical energy in a crash with minimal added weight and volume. Assumes additional protection that enhances the vehicle's passive safety, minimizing the consequences of a collision for the passengers. The system has an innovative design that allows placing it in different positions inside the vehicle or making structural parts and is manufactured with advanced materials.
The system is designed to provide protection that goes beyond the current regulations for passenger cars, as it is able to absorb a larger proportion of the mechanical energy generated in a collision. Also improve the passive safety of vehicles (vans, trucks) or special vehicles (ambulances, fire trucks, armored vehicles) in circulation.
It also provides substantial improvements for heavy duty vehicles, contrary to what is happening now should be able to absorb themselves much of the energy produced in a collision with a vehicle lighter, thereby minimizing the potential damage that may occur in people who travel light vehicle.
The system consists in several stages which act consecutively on impact, absorbing energy in a gradual and proportional to the energy generated in the collision, which is a lower acceleration on passengers, thereby reducing the potential injuries.
Less weight, volume and system size compared to traditional structural systems, through the use of advanced materials: tensile filaments that act in case of collision, thermosets broken links which act by absorbing the impact energy generated in the fiber and combined with high strength composite metal / polymer composite micro / nanostructures
Description of the technology
System to partially absorb the energy generated in a crash involving at least one motor vehicle traveling at a high or medium speed. It is a passive protection system for vehicles which absorbs the maximum amount of mechanical energy in a crash with minimal added weight and volume. Assumes additional protection that enhances the vehicle's passive safety, minimizing the consequences of a collision for the passengers. The system has an innovative design that allows placing it in different positions inside the vehicle or making structural parts and is manufactured with advanced materials
Main advantages of its use
- Allows the absorption of a significant amount of mechanical energy generated in collisions produced in vehicles traveling at medium or high speed, with minimal added weight and volume.
- Innovative system that complements existing passive safety systems of vehicles: passenger cars or redesigned vehicles in circulation.
- Reduce injuries and increased safety for passengers
- Technical solution easily adaptable to the aesthetic and design of the vehicle, allowing the fabrication of structural elements of great ability to absorb mechanical energy.
- Technical solution ideal for next-generation vehicles, electric vehicles that require an efficient and lightweight.
- Collision protection of telecommunication towers and high-value structures near roads and highways.
- Enhanced passive safety for commercial vehicles in circulation.
- Improved performance against collision of heavy vehicles like trucks and buses in circulation.
- Improved performance against vehicle collisions in very rigid structures, pillars of tunnels, bridges, houses, etc.
- Improving for passive safety in special vehicles: police vehicles, armored ambulances, firefighters.
- Increased ability to absorb mechanical energy into structural parts of trains and trams.
- Modular mechanical energy absorption for specific areas in already designed vehicles.
- New concept passengers cars, especially elite-class vehicles.
- Structural parts of new generation vehicles, electric vehicles.
About UNIVERSIDAD DE ALICANTE
Research & Technology Organization from SpainUNIVERSIDAD DE ALICANTE
As one of the largest universities of Spain, Universidad de Alicante has a rich history of innovation. Our main objective is goal is to to transfer the technology that our research teams are developing to the industries and companies which are able to take profit from them. R & D & Innovation results and know-how are offered in the domains of Chemistry, Materials, Environment, IT, Building and other applied subjects.