Summary of the technology
Properties of foams can be enriched by the addition of a biocide. Silver, gold or copper present in the form of nanometric scale are known for their biocidal properties against bacteria, viruses and fungi.
Description of the technology
The present invention is a polyurethane foam comprising in their structure silver or gold nanoparticles. Polyurethane foams are polyurethane materials reputed to have most versatile properties, so they can be used in various branches of science and industry. They are applied in clothing, upholstery, automotive, and aerospace industries. Commonly they are used as seals, packaging and in the production of toys. Furthermore, due to their unique mechanical properties, polyurethane foams are have a great importance in the construction industry, as for the manufacture of walls and isolation and to strengthen the structure.
A method for preparing a polyurethane material was developed. The process consisted of mixing at room temperature the water nanosilver, nanogold or nanocopper suspension with polyol premix which is a mixture of two polyols, catalyst and surfactant. Suspension of silver, gold or copper, which is obtained based on water works as a foaming agent. Then, methylenediphenyl-4,4'-diisocyanate is added to that mixture. Water which serves as a dispersant of metal nanoparticles, reacts with isocyanate leading to the formation of foam by generating carbon dioxide. Thus, the process condition allows to deposit the nanoparticles on the surface of the foam, rather than in its volume, which creates better possibilities for the use of their biocidal properties.
Main advantages of its use
- Nanometals additive for polyurethane foams affects the inhibition of growth of bacteria, fungi and viruses, especially when the foam are used in the environment favouring their development.
- Commonly they are used as seals, packaging and in the production of toys.
- Furthermore, due to their unique mechanical properties, polyurethane foams are have a great importance in the construction industry, as for the manufacture of walls and isolation and to strengthen the structure.
- Polyurethane foams are applied in clothing, upholstery, automotive, and aerospace industries.
About Cracow University of Technology
Technology Transfer Office from PolandCracow University of Technology
Cracow University of Technology:
- educates highly qualified engineers who can cope with national and global industry challenges,
- educates academic staff by supporting the development of their scientific passion and their participation in national and international scientific exchange,
- serves the economy and the whole society by solving technical and technological problems and by implementing scientific studies into economic practice.