Summary of the technology
Both proposed side fins drive systems have similar features which are realized by slightly different mechanisms dependant on the room inside vehicles hull. Those features are as follows:
- ability to generate an extra driving force,
- significant increase of swimming speed,
- reduction of robot unwanted hull movements during swimming with side fins enabling proper work of onboard equipment and sensors etc. (for solutions in robots imitating fish);
- increasing the dynamic of swimming depth changes;
- wide range of change of direction of thrust force (also reverse thrust).
- unlimited range of change of thrust around axis of rotation of side fins,
- ability to dynamically stabilize heel movement of the hull
- no change in the direction of rotation of the main engine transferred into oscillatory motion of lateral fins,
- less energy consumption,
- frequency of oscillation at a level of several Hz
Description of the technology
University from Poland developed: propulsion system utilizing oscillating side fins, worm gear based propulsion system of side fins, which can be applied in underwater and surface vehicles. Innovation of mechanism lies in multi-functionality. Mechanisms enable generation of additional thrust in aquatic vessel equipped with 2 symmetric side fins. Fins can be individually positioned with oscillations turned off. This changes static angle of attack of fins thus vehicle can move like a glider.
A Technology University from south of Poland developed new technologies: - propulsion system utilizing oscillating side fins, - worm gear based propulsion system of side fins, Two proposed mechanisms enables generation of additional thrust in aquatic vessel equipped with two symmetric side fins. Furthermore proposed mechanisms enables generation of side fins oscillations with high frequencies and at any neutral point around axis of its rotation thus reverse thrust can be achieved. Independent position control for each fin is maintained during its oscillation (one fin can generate forward thrust, the other one – reverse thrust) this also improves vehicles manoeuvrability. Fins can also be individually positioned with oscillations turned off. This changes static angle of attack of fins thus underwater vehicle can move like a glider. Innovation of proposed mechanism lies in their multi-functionality. It can be used in toys (models of submarines) or in vehicles used to monitor the water environment. System can propel small boats, pedal boats and other aquatic vehicles. The system can generate an extra driving force, which allows the vessel’s course changing, generate braking force and also change the depth of draught. Mechanism enables realization of several functions at a time, and is easy to build, cheap to produce and reliable. First type of propulsion system connects independent positioning of lateral fins with oscillatory movement. Characteristic feature of the system is that the main engine drives lateral fins by beam-and-crank or scotch-yoke mechanizm in order to generate its oscillations. Proper set of gears with both internal and external gear mesh allows changing neutral point of oscillation in wide range of change. Mechanism enables also independent positioning of each side fin during oscillation function turned off. Second type of propulsion system also utilizes beam-and-crank mechanism to produce oscillations of lateral fins but thanks to self-inhibitory worm gears driven by independent engines attached to a common base, positioning of neutral point of oscillations is possible. Other functions of this mechanisms are similar to those mentioned in the description of the first mechanism. The only difference is in self-inhibitory gear thus side fins positioning engines can be turned off for energy savings when not used whereas in the first mechanism side fins positioning servomotors must maintain its position all the time.
Main advantages of its use
- Innovation of proposed mechanism lies in their multi-functionality. It can be used in toys (models of submarines) or in vehicles used to monitor the water environment.
- Mechanism enables realization of several functions at a time, and is easy to build, cheap to produce and reliable.
- System can propel small boats, pedal boats and other aquatic vehicles.
- The system can generate an extra driving force, which allows the vessel’s course changing, generate braking force and also change the depth of draught.
- vehicles used to monitor the water environment, small boats, pedal boats and other aquatic vehicles, toys (models of submarines), military underwater and surface vehicles, automatic underwater biomimetic vehicles.
About Cracow University of Technology
Technology Transfer Office from PolandCracow University of Technology
Cracow University of Technology:
- educates highly qualified engineers who can cope with national and global industry challenges,
- educates academic staff by supporting the development of their scientific passion and their participation in national and international scientific exchange,
- serves the economy and the whole society by solving technical and technological problems and by implementing scientific studies into economic practice.