Summary of the technology
The Institut de Biotecnologia i de Biomedicina (IBB) was created in 1970 as a research institute of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) to promote fundamental biological research. In the year 2000, the focus of research evolved towards the Biotechnology and Biomedicine fields, with the aim of advancing scientific findings into translational results.
At present, the Institute hosts 18 research groups organised into 3 programmes and working in 7 areas of expertise:
• Cellular Biology
• Structural Biology
This multidisciplinary character, one of the most relevant characteristics of the IBB, allows for a broad approach to biological problems, both basic and applied. The IBB is also highly engaged in academic training at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Details of the Technology Offer
Among others, the Institut de Biotecnologia i de Biomedicina (IBB) can help with the Covid19 emergency by providing expertise in the following research areas:
- Antibody/protein production
- Lateral flow diagnostic System
- Genomic variation analysis, database creation, association studies/big data analysis.
- Drug design/screening; molecular docking, quantum physics: for target-drug screening, improving efficiency or attachment, etc.
- Design and production of nanoproteins or nanopeptides as disease treatment/diagnostic.
- Vaccine development, improvement of affinity, etc.
- Experimental validations of vaccine-antigen/ target-drug (interaction validation techniques)
- Understanding/Modulation of the immune system