Summary of the technology
A novel magnesium phosphate cement with good properties for clinical applications has been patented and developed. It is envisaged as an excellent root canal filler for endodontic treatments, improving the commercial materials currently used for this application. Partners to establish commercial agreements along with technical cooperation are sought.
is to develop a new formulation of MPC to overcome the mentioned problems at the same time as their beneficial properties are maintained in order
A novel magnesium phosphate cement formulation based on a magnesium oxide and a sodium (Na) phosphate mixture, with enhanced properties for clinical applications has been developed. The exothermia and setting kinetics of the new cement formulations were tailored to comply with clinical requirements. This novel Na-MPC has been characterized in terms of their reaction products, their microstructure and their mechanical properties.
The MPC studied showed that early compressive strengths were substantially higher than that of MTA. The Na-MPC were shown to have antibacterial activity, which was attributed to the alkaline pH developed during the setting reaction. These materials can be prepared as granules, cements, coatings, or dense/porous ceramics among others.
Current stage of development
Some properties have been tested in vitro with human teeth in collaboration with the School of Dentistry of the University of Minnesota. In vivo biocompatibilities studies are currently in process.
Applications and Target Market
· Technology of interest for companies devoted to biomaterials manufacturing for hard tissue regeneration in biomedical applications such as odontology and bone surgery.
· Relevant in endodontic applications, as a root canal filler or root canal sealer.
· Useful for filling bone cavities, bone fractures stabilization or anchoring dental prosthe sis.
· Also usable for drug delivery systems and tissue engineering scaffolds.
· Easy preparation Fast setting High early strenght Stable with time Good sealing High adhesion High pH achieving an excellent antimicrobial effect
Intellectual property status
Technology available for licensing with technical cooperation Patent Status US and European patent applications
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya - UPC
Technology Transfer Office