High performance process for the fabrication of graphene by
electrochemical exfoliation of graphite Fig 1.) Image of a high-quality-graphene sheet obtained by the novel method. It could be appreciated the MOIRE diagram which proof the high crystallinity (no defects) of the product.
The novel technology based on electrochemical exfoliation of graphite (even powder) permits the fabrication of graphene in high yield. Through the novel cell design of an electrochemical reactor and a simple procedure a fine tuning of the oxidation degree of the graphene sheet is performed.
This method allows the fabrication of high-quality-graphene suitable for many current and potential graphene applications in which the control of its oxidation degree plays an important role.
Main innovations and advantages
· Controllable graphene oxidation, from a high quality product (no defectneither oxygen content) to a high oxidation product like reducedgraphene oxide (rGO) or even Graphite Oxide (GO).
· High quality of the graphene sheets in comparison with currentfabrication methods except Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD).
· High efficiency versus other current electrochemical fabricationmethods.
· Easily scalable and modular.
· Low energy consumption, low voltages and time compared with othermethods.
· Low cost product of the raw material, special carbon electrodes arenot needed.
· Side products generated can be used again in the reactor without anykind of treatment.