Summary of the technology
Colonoscopic procedures have become widespread in recent years since colorectal cancer (CRC) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) have become prevalent disorders. Their use has expanded as diagnostic and therapeutic tools in both elective and emergency situations. Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the most common cancer in both men and women. In the case of polypectomy, as in the case of surgery, the stabilization of the primary tumors could allow the use of optimizing chemotherapy and therefore an overall improvement in the treatment of the disease.
Description of the technology
Theproposal is based on anew platform compositionwithfunctionsofdrug deliveryfor the treatment of gastrointestinal cancers that can be administered through thechannel of the endoscope and easily adaptable to the patient regardless of the stage of the disease.
Theinvention consists in a platform for local and sustained release of activeagents for the gastrointestinal tract,particularlyanti-cancer or anti-inflammatory drugs.Forexample to prevent tumor recurrence after resection, or reducing inflammation in patients with inflammatory boweldisease.
Providing anactive ingredientin a timely way at a colon site has many advantages (targeted therapy, dose adjustment,lessside effects,etc).
Severalstudies of the platform for use with anti-cancer drugs inazoxymethane-induced colorectal cancer in rats are currently underway. Also, the efficacy of the platform with theantiinflammatory drug (Infliximab) has already been tested in an experimental model of TNBS-induced colitis inrats.
Desired business relationship
Intellectual property status
Germans Trias i Pujol Health Sciences Research Institute
About Germans Trias i Pujol Health Sciences Research Institute
Research Institute from SpainGermans Trias i Pujol Health Sciences Research Institute
The mission of the Health Sciences Research Institute of the “Germans Trias i Pujol” Foundation (IGTP) are to generate, preserve, disseminate and increase multidisciplinary and translational knowledge, as well as echnological development in biomedical sciences, by means of a dynamic, efficient and effective organisation.
The ultimate goal of the IGTP is to become a research centre of reference, able to transfer the generated knowledge into clinical practice and therapeutics (translationality), in order to optimise the psychophysical health and quality of life of the population.
- The IGTP, as an institution devoted to biomedical research:
- Assumes its humanitarian view, ethical principles, and solidarity, as well as the principles of sustainability in resource management and relationship with the environment.
- Its activities will be always related with the health needs of the population and the priority areas in healthcare development.
- Assumes the scientific method as its own and faces its goals by means of programs of excellence which enable the leadership in the areas of knowledge of the interest of its researchers.
- Protects the data used in, and generated by the research programmes, as well as the privacy of the patients and healthy individuals who participate in them.