Summary of the technology
Currently, the glucocorticoids are the first-line of treatment for of moderate-to-severe flare-ups. However, up to 40% of patients do not have an adequate response. Mechanisms of steroid-refractoriness in UC remains unknown. In addition, corticosteroid failure impair the effectiveness of rescue therapies.
Description of the technology
Prolonged andunnecessary exposure tocorticosteroid, andthe lack of control ofthe inflammatory process increases morbidity.
There areclinical andanalytical variablesthat applied tothe third day oftreatment canpredict apoor response tocorticosteroids.
There are nopredictors of responsethat can beapplied before the beginning ofcorticoids.Toresolve the inadequate corticoids treatments andadminstrated efective medical regime to treat IBD patients that no response to corticosteroids medication, IGTP group propose:
•Biosignature to manage the non-responder corticosteroids patients with personalizedapproach.
The combinationbiosignature provides an 100% accuracy and 90% general capability predictive potential, in combination with clinical plasma/urinaryroutinary analysis thetechnologyprovides a newresolutive method to discern responder patients from non-responderpatients,previous to the beginning of thetreatment,avoiding undesirable effects of corticosteroid treatments in non-responder patients.
Germans Trias i Pujol Health Sciences Research Institute
About Germans Trias i Pujol Health Sciences Research Institute
Research Institute from SpainGermans Trias i Pujol Health Sciences Research Institute
The mission of the Health Sciences Research Institute of the “Germans Trias i Pujol” Foundation (IGTP) are to generate, preserve, disseminate and increase multidisciplinary and translational knowledge, as well as echnological development in biomedical sciences, by means of a dynamic, efficient and effective organisation.
The ultimate goal of the IGTP is to become a research centre of reference, able to transfer the generated knowledge into clinical practice and therapeutics (translationality), in order to optimise the psychophysical health and quality of life of the population.
- The IGTP, as an institution devoted to biomedical research:
- Assumes its humanitarian view, ethical principles, and solidarity, as well as the principles of sustainability in resource management and relationship with the environment.
- Its activities will be always related with the health needs of the population and the priority areas in healthcare development.
- Assumes the scientific method as its own and faces its goals by means of programs of excellence which enable the leadership in the areas of knowledge of the interest of its researchers.
- Protects the data used in, and generated by the research programmes, as well as the privacy of the patients and healthy individuals who participate in them.