Summary of the technology
From bioprocesses and water quality to food safety and plant biology, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform (BEAP) offers cutting-edge equipment and expertise in analytical chemistry, omics technologies and bioprocessing to scientists, industry and public stakeholders. Eager to provide a tailor-made approach, BEAP engineers enable to analyse numerous types of samples ranging from water, soil, plants and microorganisms to animal tissues. The bioreactor facilities allow providing a research infrastructure for end-to-end bioprocess development (up to TRL5), including upscaling of production volumes up to 50L and downstream processing. It is currently used for yeast, bacteria and plant cell cultures, in order to produce biomass, proteins, secondary metabolites and other high added value compounds.
The support provided by BEAP team members includes the scientific and technical expertise and knowledge of engineers, as well as the implementation, manipulation and maintenance of state-of-the-art equipment.
Details of the Technology Offer
- Bioprocessing: Optimisation of processes, on-demand medium formulation, upscaling of existing or newly developed processes, as well as production, purification and characterisation of enzymes.
- Sample preparation: To perform analyses in the domains of e.g. water quality, food safety, quality control or plant biology.
- Omics: Quantitative and qualitative analysis of molecules such as DNA, RNA, proteins and/or peptides and metabolites in microorganisms, plants or animal samples.
- Analytical Science: Analysis of primary and secondary metabolites, determination of targeted xenobiotics or natural compounds in various environmental or biological matrices (water, food, plants, etc), from trace contaminants to major elements.
Main application areas:
- Production of biomass for the probiotic sector, e.g. with Probiotics
- Optimisation of process and custom-made cultivation media (service)
- Production of enzymes or secondary metabolites in volumes up to 50L (service)
- Water quality or food safety: determination of targeted xenobiotics or natural compounds from trace contaminants to major elements
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis of molecules such as DNA, RNA, proteins and/or peptides and metabolites in environmental or living samples
- Purification and characterisation of enzymes
The Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform labs are equipped with the latest technologies. (Genomics and Transcriptomics, Proteomics, Environmental chemistry and biochemistry – Metabolomics, Microscopy, Bioprocess & Software)