Summary of the technology
CSIC has developed a modulating agent for regulating body weight. Nowadays, it is necessary to develop new alternatives to increase the profitability of animal breeding and increase meat production, key factors to meet the food needs of the world population.
Since weight and body fat are two important factors in reproductive maturity in animals, it is necessary to find alternatives to regulate body weight to delay entry into puberty and avoid the cessation of the growth or fattening stage. In this way we can obtain a higher profitability in the herds and we can control more efficiently the growth of the animals.
Companies interested in patent licensing are sought for the development and use of the same in animal breeding companies.
Modulating agent to regulate body weight
The modulating agent acts via the EGFR receptor in regulating body weight. So, if it produces the activation, it decreases the appetite and the food intake and, therefore, the decrease in body weight. In contrast, inhibition of the EGFR pathway involves an increase in appetite and body weight.
By inactivating the EGFR pathway, it allows livestock to gain weight and delay their entry into adulthood. Allowing the increase in the performance of animal breeding and having a higher production than the current techniques used in animal breeding.
Main innovations and advantages
· The modulating agent allows to control the energy status, appetite andbody weight
· Increases the yield in animal breeding.
· It allows to control the corporal weight of both ways, diminishing it orincreasing it.
· The EGFR receptor modulating agent can be used in farm animals suchas: Birds, cow, pig, sheep, rabbit, goat, horse, llama, ox, bull and hare.
· The modulating agent for administration can be comprised within apharmaceutical composition.
Intellectual property status
Priority patent application filed suitable for international extension
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas