Summary of the technology
The Research Group in Engineering of Telematic Services of the University of Alcalá, presents the following procedure that allows, in a network of transparent bridges equipped with learning functionality of paths of type ARP-Path, in cooperation with the SDN controller, to repair all the paths in use that pass through a certain link when it fails.
In this way, when a link or other cause fails, and a path to a bridge terminal has to be repaired, this one informs the controller, sending a Packetln OpenFlow package containing the destination address to be repaired.
Its most obvious application is in switches for Software Defined Networks (SDN).
The group seeks to reach licensing agreements, commercial or of collaboration agreements with companies from the telecommunications sector, electronic devices and / or computer applications that establish the communications between transparent bridges.
Description of the technology
The present invention describes mechanisms that allow, in a network of transparent bridges with OpenFlow interface and equipped with learning functionality of paths with temporary blocking of the ARP-Path relearning, implementing the repair, in cooperation with the SDN controller, of all the paths in use that go through a certain link when it fails.
In this way, when a link or other cause fails to repair a path to a bridge terminal, it informs the controller by sending an OpenFlow packet of type Packet-ln containing the destination address to be repaired.
The controller queries in a table the frontier bridge to which each terminal is connected and sends an OpenFlow Packet-Out packet to the frontier bridge connected to the destination terminal. This package contains a multicast repair frame that the bridge de-encapsulates and sends through all its links, flooding it until reaching the bridge that detected the failure of the link, and establishing this frame as it passes through the network, a confluence tree where it can reach to the bridge of the destination terminal, whose branches, one or more, will be used by the frames in transit to the destination.
These mechanisms can be implemented in specialized hardware devices or partially or totally as software programs executed in specialized as well as generic hardware devices. Its most important application is in switches for Networks defined by software.
- Path exploration protocols such as ARP-Path find paths by flooding the network through broadcast frames and nothing similar has been found in the scientific literature consulted.
- The combination between the functionality of a bridge with OpenFlow interface to controller, and a semi-autonomous ARP-Path bridge on the same bridge, has the advantage of being able to avoid the need for the controller to control all the data flows of the network, by delegating on the bridges the function of basic forwarding of frames in layer two of the flows that are not explicitly controlled by the OpenFlow controller.
- The reconfiguration of paths before failure is slow and complex both in pure SDN networks with central controller for its complete centralization, and also in ARP-Path bridge networks distributed by their extreme distribution. This invention combines the advantages of having a central controller, with those of conducting a direct and distributed path exploration by the network from the destination bridge.
Current development status
Telecommunications sector, electronic devices and / or computer applications that establish the communications between transparent bridges.
Desired business relationship
The group seeks to reachlicensingagreements, commercial or of collaboration agreements with companiesfrom the telecommunications sector, electronic devices and / or computer applications that establish the communications between transparent bridges.
Intellectual property status
Patent already applied for
The patent has been requested in 2016 with application number P201600530
Universidad de Alcalá-OTRI
Research & Technology Organization
About Universidad de Alcalá-OTRI
Research & Technology Organization from SpainUniversidad de Alcalá-OTRI
The Technology Transfer Office at Alcalá University serves as a liaison between the University and its socioeconomic environment in terms of research and innovation. It encorages collaboration between research groups from universities and companies/institutions, with the objective to promote and commercialize research results and scientific capabilities.
Some of the services offered by this office are specified in the following list:
- Promotion of R & D and improvement of the relationships with companies.
- Promote the participation in R & D projects applicants to public calls (regional, national and European).
- Advising, processing and monitoring of patents and other forms of industrial protection.
- Support in the negotiation of contracts and agreements for R&D&i