Summary of the technology
Environmentally friendly preparation of thermosets for applications on thermosensitive substrates.
A two-step curing process, which consists in an Aza-Michael addition at room temperature, followed by UV radical polymerization of acrylates or methacrylates amine formulations without the need of adding solvents.
The presence of amines in the structure suppress the radical inhibition by oxygen, which is a typical drawback in radical polymerizations.
The invention allows leading the curing in two separate stages with a stable intermediate material, being the process controlled by the amount of amine in the formulation.
New and innovative aspects
- Energy-saving curing procedure
- The curing system allows the application on thermosensitive substrates
- Very versatile procedure that allows the production of materials ranging from elastomers to thermosets
- Process controlled in two stages through different chemistries of the two processes and through the composition of the formulation.
- The second stage of curing is not inhibited by the effect of oxygen present in the air, facilitating their use in batch processes and drastically reducing rejected products as a result of impaired quality of the material.
Main advantages of its use
- Curing can be performed on thermosensitive materials
- Getting completely crosslinked non-sticky materials or changeable over time at the end of curing
- Obtaining stable materials at the end of the first curing step, which can be stored before they reach their final properties in the second stage of curing
- Energetically favorable curing conditions since it can be carried out at room temperature
- No VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) evolved during curing
The curing of the formulations is done in two different steps and can be performed at room temperature. The first stage consists in the addition of non-aromatic amines or polyamines to vinyl compounds conjugated to electronwithdrawing groups by an aza-Michael addition. The second stage, vinyl polymerization thermally or photochemically induced, is not inhibited by the oxygen in the atmosphere, allowing its application in discontinuous manufacturing processes and reaching highly crosslinked materials.
- Coating thermosensitive material
- Adhesives and coatings
Desired business relationship
About Fundació URV
Technology Transfer Office from SpainFundació URV
The Technology Transfer and Innovation Center (CTTi) meets from the University environment the technological needs and services generated by the productive sectors and administration, through the management of Transfer of Technology and Knowledge, the Intellectual and Intellectual Property management, Technology Watch, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Infrastructures Offer (business incubator).