GD-95RM lipase is new microbial lipolytic biocatalyst evolved through protein engineering, using directed evolution. This lipolytic biocatalyst is successfully produced by heterologous protein expression in E. coli BL21 (DE3) and purified by using native IMAC conditions. It has been reported that GD-95RM lipase successfully performed hydrolysis of different commercially available oils and fats at a broad temperature range (20-75°C) with preference to higher temperatures, displayed activity at alkaline pH and are compatible with organic solvents (ethanol or methanol). GD-95RM lipase is also compatible with compounds potentially involved in detergent production (trisodium citrate, sodium perborate, urea, boric
acid or citric acid). Long term storage up to 3 months at room temperature of native and immobilized forms of GD-95RM is also possible.
Both native and immobilized forms of GD-95RM enzyme can be applied for hydrolysis and transesterification reactions of different oils and fats. The immobilized form of target enzymes is applicable in flow systems.
The GD-95RM lipolytic biocatalyst can be a promising new tool for:
• Removal of lipid pollutants;
• Fat, oil, and grease (FOG) waste management;
• New detergent production;
• FAME (fatty acid methyl esters/ biofuel) and fragrance fatty acid ester production;
• Can be used as model enzymes in protein research.
• Tools for fundamental enzyme research and development of further protein engineering methods;
• Application in various fields of Biotechnology;
• Production of new, ecofriendly detergents;
• Improvements in cleaning technology.
TECHNOLOGY READINESS LEVEL
Validated in laboratory.
• Renata Gudiukaitė
• Vilius Malūnavičius
• Eglė Lastauskienė
Druteika G, Sadauskas M, Malunavicius V, Lastauskiene E, Statkeviciute R, Savickaite A, Gudiukaite R. New engineered Geobacillus lipase GD- 95RM for industry focusing on the cleaner production of fatty esters and household washing product formulations. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2020, 36, 41. DOI: 10.1007/s11274-020-02816-3.