Researchers from the University of Burgos have patented a new hybrid solar panel, which allows optimizing the process of joint generation of electrical and thermal energy, achieving higher performance and better heat storage in conditions of low light energy through optimal use of space.
New and innovative aspects
The innovative aspects it presents are:
• It has an integrated heat collection using phase change materials (PCM)
• The patented concept makes the design easily scalable and adaptable, unlike other panels.
• The phase change material is heated both by the radiation transmitted from the photovoltaic panel and by the heat pipe, this supposes an optimized heat transmission.
• Use of non-polluting materials
Main advantages of its use
The main advantages of its use
• Allows the simultaneous generation of heat and electricity. It also allows the storage of the thermal energy generated.
• It allows increasing the value of thermal energy generated, being able to vary the heat / electricity ratio adjusting it to the needs of each specific application.
• It allows to be able to use the heat when it is necessary, although the solar radiation is reduced.
• The solar panel allows an improved energy efficiency compared to other known panels, thanks to the extra cooling that is provided to the photovoltaic panel, with the phase change material.
• The design allows the residual energy in the form of heat to be used to heat the collector fluid and the phase change material, achieving a very high overall efficiency, up to 60-70%, or even higher.
• It allows the generation of two energy resources through the same device, not requiring the installation of two panels (photovoltaic and thermal) to generate energy. The need to use fewer supporting structures reduces the cost of installation.
For practical purposes, the use of this panel implies:
• An increase in electrical energy: + 15%
• Generation of hot water (or air)
• Space saving (2x1)
• Optimization and great overall performance of the panel
• Cost savings: structure, collector, fuel
• Maintenance is not required
Hybrid solar panel designed to achieve better heat storage in low light energy conditions, comprising a photovoltaic panel, a thermal collector arranged on the face of the photovoltaic panel, opposite to solar radiation and a phase change material. The thermal collector is embedded in the phase change material, the mentioned thermal collector is arranged in correspondence with the face of the photovoltaic panel, opposite the one that receives solar radiation. A heat pipe, closed at both ends, in correspondence with the face of the thermal collector opposite the photovoltaic panel, allows the evaporation and condensation of the fluid that it houses inside. At least a portion of the heat pipe is in contact with the phase change material and another portion of the heat pipe receives solar radiation.
The Hybrid Solar Kit can be used in general in:
• Nursing homes
• Sports centers
• Residential buildings
• Single-family homes.
In addition, the advantages and technology of this panel make it suitable to be installed in confined places such as:
• Mobile homes,
• Construction huts,
• Portable offices
Intellectual property status
Protected by Patent P201930047
Current development status
They have several prototypes as well as an installation that allows testing with different operating conditions.
Desired business relationship
Commercial agreement; License agreement; Technical cooperation: further development; Technical cooperation: testing new applications; Technical cooperation: adaptation to specific needs.