Summary of the technology
• This system is thermostated and temperature can be adjusted to the desired experimental conditions.
• It is possible to implement in the volumetric device other suitable elements to determine density (e.g., elements based on measurement of resonant frequency, and so on).
Description of the technology
Researchers of the University of Alicante have developed a novel device able to determine individual amounts of gases in a binary mixture which are being adsorbed simultaneously on a porous solid. It is a practical and economical device that reduces drastically analysis time and it can be used in the following industrial sectors: environmental, energy, catalysis, gas storage, and so on. Both factors make its commercialization very easy. Researchers are looking for companies acquiring this technology for commercial purposes.
Co-adsorption of a gas mixture on a porous solid needs the measurement of two properties of the system in equilibrium, which requires an equipment with two different measuring devices. In this sense, there are no commercial devices available that meet these requirements. At laboratory scale, different units have been designed. These equipments are compound by two measuring devices but they are very expensive and, hence, they are unattractive for their marketing. With the aim to overcome the limitations above described, it is presented a novel volumetric equipment which allows the simultaneous determination of the adsorption isotherms of binary mixtures. Thus, this device is really economical and practical. This equipment is composed of three cells: 1. Calibration cell, where the addition of gas is controlled. 2. Adsorption cell, where the porous solid to be analyzed is introduced (the adsorption process takes place in this cell). 3. Auxiliary cell, where the density of the gas mixture is determined when the equilibrium between the gas phase and the adsorption capacity of the porous solid is reached. Both temperature and pressure of the experiment are controlled by thermocouples and capacitance manometers (temperature can be adjusted to the conditions that user wants to carry out the adsorption experiment), while input control and gas mixture distribution to each cell is automatically regulated by a system of valves and a vacuum line connected to a vacuum pump.
Main advantages of its use
- Analysis time of the experiment can be drastically reduced compared to the current methods and devices.
- Both components of the mixture are exactly at the same equilibrium conditions (temperature and pressure).
- Calibration procedure is only necessary once a year.
- The results obtained with this device are real, while the ones obtained with the current methods are based on theoretical simulations, which are not very precise.
- The same region of the sorbent solid is being analyzed simultaneously (it does not happen with commercial devices).
- This equipment is economical, practical and easily marketable.
- Air filters and air purification and monitoring equipment.
- Chemicals and Materials
- Exploration equipment instrumentation.
- Industrial chemicals.
- Oil and Gas Drilling, Exploration and Extraction Equipment
- Other pollution and recycling related.
- Pollution and Recycling Related.