Summary of the technology
In our Biology and Microbiology laboratory we provide surface and groundwater analysis services in order to:
• Support water quality surveillance initiatives through standardised national and international methods, in accordance with the Water Framework Directive (WFD 2000/60/EC) and Groundwater Directive (GWD2006/118/EC).
• Monitor cyanobacteria blooms and their toxins in surface water and develop technological solutions for the elimination of cyanotoxins in water treatment.
Description of the technology
IMDEA WATER SOLUTIONS
These techniques can have the following applications:
- Analysis of a large set of biological indicatorscoming from:
- Surface water: reservoirs, lakes, rivers
- Groundwater (inland and coastal aquifers)
- Groundwater-dependent ecosystems (hyporheic river areas)
- Identification ofcyanobacteria, cyclopoids and ostracod specimensin the lowest level taxonomic range.
- Aquaculture and ecotoxicology testing(bioassays, chronic, acute and sublethal testing) for integrated biological monitoring of water quality, as bacteriological and physiochemical test support.
- Biodegradation of cyanotoxinsand diversityof bio-digesting bacterial populations using standard gene markers and metagenomic studies.
- Development of molecular tools to monitor cyanobacterial bloomsand their toxins in surface waters.
- Developing a technological solutionfor biological control and removal of cyanotoxins in water treatment.
Ecohydrology Unit: fully equipped with high quality optical microscopes, available with high-resolution photomontage systems to facilitate identifications in invertebrate aquaculture, hatcheries and aquariums.
Cyanobacteria and cyanotoxins unitwith an incubator for cyanobacteria and bacteria cultures and a Buchi rotary evaporator with cooling system for extraction of cyanotoxins, and solid phase extraction equipment for concentrating toxin extracts.
Molecular Biology Unitequipped with gel documentation system for electrophoresis; real-time PCR, AB7300, for quantitative and qualitative gene studies; nanophotometer, Época, measuring DNA concentrations in volumes as low as 2l; gel electrophoresis equipment, Biorad, for DNA and RNA electrophoresis; PCR thermocycler, to perform the PCR reaction, and DNA extraction homogenizer, Precellys, for extracting DNA from bacterial cells.
- Catchment Organizations
- Territorial Environmental Services
- Local authorities
- Management companies