Summary of the technology
Continuous casting process of steel cannot be in these days controlled without the use of mathematical models, computer simulations and advanced control and optimization methods. The proposed dynamic solidification model allows for real-time simulations of heat transfer and solidification of continuously cast steel slabs and billets. The model can also be coupled with optimization modules for the effective and appropriate control and regulation of casting.
Description of the technology
The proposed numerical model of temperature field for continuously cast strands provides a fully 3D prediction of the temperature distribution for slabs or billets of an arbitrary cross-section. The dynamic model iteratively solves transient heat transfer and solidification of the entire strand as it passes through the casting machine. The model is available in two versions: on-line version, which is usually integrated in the control system of steelworks and runs in real time, and off-line version, which can be utilized as a simulator tool.
An integration of the model to the control steelworks system allows casting parameters monitoring, data storage and their long-term analysis, parametric studies, etc. The use of the BrDSM can be extended by means of its coupling with:
- Fuzzy optimization module – to determine optimal casting parameters, appropriate control reactions at dynamic process changes or in the case of breakdown situations, casting machine modifications, etc.
- Model Predictive Control (MPC) – for future temperature prediction and optimal casting control.
- Graphics processing units (GPUs) – computation core which allows parallel calculation on GPU and speed up fine-mesh numerical simulation.
- System quality control – which collect and store casting data from BrDSM and predict the final quality of steel.
- Reduction of an occurrence of defects due to reheating.
- Control of the surface temperature between 950 °C and 1050 °C in the area of unbending.
- Improvement of the structure of cast steel.
- Increase of the casting productivity and flexibility.
Desired business relationship
- Analyses and studies of the current state in steel works including operational measurements.
- Optimization of the control system for continuous steel casting with an emphasis to secondary cooling, optimization of cooling curves and cooling strategies, design of cooling system of the casting machine.
- Dynamic model implementation (on-line).
- Development of quality and prediction systems.
Intellectual property status
Other forms of protection: Business/trade secrecy
Technology Transfer Office
Technology Transfer Office