- Anonymous Organization
- From EMEA
- Very responsive
- Project Size Range : 250,000 - 1,000,000 €
- Posted by
Development of the recipe for waffles with fat filling without added sugar. The developed product should be healthier than classic waffles with fat filling with sugar and should not be more expensive.
Details of the Innovation Need
Background: the growing incidence of diabetes and obesity diseases is one of the key challenges for global healthcare. Excessive sugar consumption is proved to be the main reason for these tendencies. Reducing the sucrose content and finding its substitutes have been important issues for food and beverage companies for many decades.
Waffles – flour confectionery product made of wafer sheets layered with fat filling, a moisture content of which is no more than 8.4%. The majority of waffles consist of fat fillings made by whipping or grinding fat, waffle crumbs, powdered sugar, and flavoring agents which is followed by whipping the resulting mass. Fat filling is a finely ground mass based on sugar, fat with or without cereals and (or) legumes, and food additives; a mass fraction of fat is at least 18%, a degree of grinding is at least 92%. The sugar content in the fat filling recipe for waffles is about 50%. In addition to the function of sweetness, sugar in fat filling also affects the hardness and viscosity of fat filling, as well as the degree of bonding of wafer sheets.
Therefore, the main task today is to find an ingredient to replace sugar as a structure-forming agent and filler and to develop a finished product based on it, which can be produced in an industrial scale. At the same time, this ingredient or a complex of ingredients should be close to sugar in cost or be cheaper. The sweetness in the coating is supposed to be created by natural high-intensity sweeteners (stevia, sweet proteins, etc.), which must be added in fairly small quantities due to their high sweetness.
|List of parameters
|Taste and smell of the filling
|Sweet with the taste and smell of the raw materials and flavoring agents used, without any off-flavours. The feeling of salinity is not allowed
|Homogeneous, without grains and lumps, tender, oily, easily melting in the mouth, finely dispersed, without lumps and crystals. Large inclusions provided by the recipe (crushed nuts, chocolate chips, coconut chips, extruded cereals, etc.) are distributed evenly in the filling.
|Uniform, from white to dark brown, depending on the recipe
|Mass fraction of moisture
|Degree of grinding
|Mass fraction of fat
- the raw cost of a fat filling without sugar should not exceed the raw cost of a similar filling with sugar (on the market of innovations call solver);
- all ingredients used to replace sugar in the developing recipe must have a glycemic index of no more than 10.
Method of control of the obtained result:
- preparation and provision to the customer of the final report with recipes, characteristics of raw materials, a detailed description of the technological process of production (technological stages, parameters, equipment), cost calculation.
- confirmation of the developed formulation and technology shall be the reproduction of the product by the specialists of our company.
- Were developed recipes with using polyols (maltitol, isomalt, erythritol, polydextrose) and dietary fiber (inulin and oligofructose), as well as using allulose and tagatose.
One of the largest food manufacturer with + 25 years presence on the market. The company employs approximately 18 thousand people and has 16 factories, its annual turnover is more than $3 billion
About Innovation Needs
Innovation Needs on Innoget are directly posted and managed by its members as well as evaluation of proposals. Innoget is the trusted open innovation and science network aimed at directly connect industry needs with professionals online.