- Anonymous Organization
- From EMEA
- Very responsive
- Project Size Range : 50,000 - 250,000 €
- Posted by
Development of a recipe for marshmallow without added sugar. The developed product should be healthier than classic waffles with fat filling with sugar and should not be more expensive.
Details of the Innovation Need
Background: the growing incidence of diabetes and obesity diseases is one of the key challenges for global healthcare. Excessive sugar consumption is proved to be the main reason for these tendencies. Reducing the sucrose content and finding its substitutes have been important issues for food and beverage companies for many decades.
Marshmallows include confectionery products obtained by whipping fruit and berry puree with sugar and egg white, followed by mixing the foamy mass with hot jelly-forming agar (pectin) syrup or with hot fruit jelly mass. As a result of jelly-forming process, semi-solid foam-like mass is obtained. The content of sugary substances in the marshmallow recipe is 78.5% (sugar -35%, glucose syrup / molasses / invert syrup / honey 43.5%). In addition to the function of sweetness, sugar in marshmallows also affects the process of jelly formation and determines the structure of marshmallows. In addition, glucose syrup / molasses / invert syrup / honey are a source of reducing substances that restrain the drying process of products and determine the shelf life of the product.
The primary task in the development of marshmallows without sugar is the development of alternatives to sugar syrups that are not inferior in quality to standard recipes with sugar, as well as the development of a marshmallow recipe with an alternative syrup. The sweetness in marshmallows is supposed to be created by natural high-intensity sweeteners (stevia, sweet proteins, etc.), which must be introduced in small quantities due to their high sweetness.
|List of parameters
|Taste and smell
|Pure, typical for the added flavoring agents, without off-flavours and smells
|Lush, soft, slightly lingering
|It has a grooved pattern with clear edges, a thin-crystalline crust
|Mass fraction of reducing substances
|Mass fraction of fruit raw materials
|Mass fraction of ash insoluble in hydrochloric acid solution with a mass fraction of 10%
|Mass fraction of total sulfurous acid
|Mass fraction of benzoic acid
|Mass fraction of moisture
- the raw cost of marshmallows without sugar should not exceed the raw cost of a similar marshmallow with sugar (on the market of innovations call solver);
- all ingredients used to replace sugar in the developing recipe must have a glycemic index of no more than 10.
Method of control of the obtained result:
- preparation and provision to the customer of the final report with recipes, characteristics of raw materials, a detailed description of the technological process of production (technological stages, parameters, equipment), cost calculation.
- confirmation of the developed formulation and technology shall be the reproduction of the product by the specialists of our company.by the specialists of our company.
- Were developed recipes with using maltitol and oligofructose.
One of the largest food manufacturer with + 25 years presence on the market. The company employs approximately 18 thousand people and has 16 factories, its annual turnover is more than $3 billion
About Innovation Needs
Innovation Needs on Innoget are directly posted and managed by its members as well as evaluation of proposals. Innoget is the trusted open innovation and science network aimed at directly connect industry needs with professionals online.