We want to develop a new renewable, bio-based resin system with improved UV resistance that increases the lifetime of more sustainable coatings.
Epoxy resin systems are recognized for their excellent corrosion resistance and adhesion performance. When formulated into coatings, epoxy systems protect valuable assets from corrosion or chemical degradation for decades. However, these epoxy systems have limited UV-and outdoor- durability. To address these limitations, we want to work with innovators to develop more sustainable solutions that make this world better, safer and cleaner.
With our Create the Future challenge, we’re looking for academic, start-ups, and industry partners to help us build a more sustainable world. We are actively searching for renewable raw materials, polymers and resins to improve the UV-resistance of epoxy resins. We are most interested in:
- Solutions that are renewable, bio-based or recyclable to improve UV-stability
- Renewable raw materials, or renewable resins, with reactive functionality that offer improved outdoor durability (UV resistance).
- UV-stable resins that can be used to develop a direct to metal coating
By participating in this challenge, the the winner will win €5,000. The winning proposals will also be considered for partnership and funding opportunities, as well as, access to our in-house expertise and global markets.
Submission criteria (Technical Specifications)
- Concepts should include more sustainable, renewable (bio-based or recycled) raw materials or resins/ polymers derived from more sustainable, renewable raw materials and indicate the content of renewable materials used
- Preferred, but not limited to, are concepts starting from commercially-available products; or raw materials available at a pilot scale (kilogram) production batches at a minimum. The production scale should be clearly indicated in your proposal
- Estimated cost of the new building blocks or the synthesis in case of resins/polymers [€/kg]
- Preferred solution have a limited number of synthesis steps
- We are not interested in concepts and ideas which have not yet been successfully prepared in the lab. It should not be a paper study only.