We are working with a consumer product company that is seeking scientific support services to assist
in understanding of the chemistry of the materials it considers using in its products/consumables and
how they may react under the influence of heat or other interactions. The client therefore requires
proven competent scientific support with expertise in organic and inorganic chemistry to supply desk based activity on an ad hoc basis. These scientific support services include being able to review
chemistry covering material form and potential interactions between materials or other elements
such as liquids, function and reactivity, from available literature and also from first principles.
Examples could include:
• Organic chemistry: The breakdown of flavour ingredients from thermal interactions, UV
exposure or when mixed with solvents or in a matrix of compounds.
• Organic chemistry: The stability of flavour ingredients
• Inorganic chemistry: The interaction of acids and metals, in liquid and aerosol, especially in
terms of galvanic cell reactions
• Materials science: The absorption properties of materials and specific interactions with target
• Investigating target compounds and potential routes to formation and reactions
Requirements of providers
- Provide analytical chemistry expertise and decision support for materials that could be used by the company, and in eventual products for human contact/exposure to
- Scientists (either individually or from an organisation) will require demonstrable experience and a deep understanding of the appropriate chemistry. Experience in medical devices, personal care or cosmetics could be an advantage
- Appropriate providers will be required to deliver answers obtained from information databases and other reference materials in a pre-determined format (including citations) for subsequent review and assessment by the client company
- Not required to have wet chemistry or laboratory-based analytical services
- There is no limitation geographically, but client has a natural preference for local (i.e. European)
NB No recommendation is required by the service provider.
What the client can offer
The client company requires ongoing capabilities in this area, and is keen to establish working relationships with service providers who can perform evaluations rapidly (1-2 weeks) from request.