This outlines the need to develop consumer-preferred and sustainable packaging innovation for wet baby-wipes via best-in-class partnership with strategic External Business Partners to bring a strong and disruptive sustainability solution.
Wet wipes (pre-moistened non-woven disposable towelettes) continue to be a consumer desirable product form. Ease of use (dictated by packaging) directly impacts overall perception and consumer acceptance of the product. Packaging of wet-wipe products requires easy dispensing of wipes when needed, while retaining the moisture during storage.
Recently, another dimension of packaging emerged as a major driver for consumers acceptance across industries, namely the introduction of more sustainable packaging solutions.
Details of the Technology Call
Current knowledge of space:
Currently the typical flow wrap (FW) construction in the industry is a PET/PE laminate with a calliper of:
- 12 micron for PET,
- a 50 to 70-micron range for PE.
This results in a FW calliper ranging from 62 to 82 micron. The PET/PE laminate is not recyclable at all. P&G is using a PP/PE laminate which is considered recyclable in selected markets (e.g. Germany). First competitors (esp. in the UK) are starting to claim recyclable flow-wrap material with mono-PE constructions. Suppliers intensify development work to deliver mono-plastic solutions (PP or PE) that are recyclable.
What we are looking for:
- A primary packaging that is recyclable in existing recycling streams (no plastic), ie paper, metal, aluminium
- Packaging that has an improved environmental footprint, that is easy to claim and to understand
- A sustainable packaging that still delivers on ease of use and overall consumer experience of a wet-wipe product.
- An IP protected existing solution and/or a development partner with experience and expertise, willing to work with us to develop designs that meet our performance and manufacturing criteria.
- A simple, elegant, intuitive, and sustainable packaging solution for wet-wipe products that is unique (differentiated from existing packages), has a premium appearance and yet affordable.
- What we are not looking for: • Solutions that will take > 6 months to deliver a working prototype. • Packaging that is not significantly differentiated from existing offerings in consumer products. Please note that only non-confidential information describing the design and IP can be accepted for review at this stage.
- Packaging Requirements:
- 1) In general, the package must: a. Protect the product and prevent contamination (similar mechanical properties as today’s Flow-Wrap), provide resistance to evaporation (similar moisture barrier approx. 2 grams/m²/day) b. Easily dispense the product. c. Must not contain any toxic materials, ideally it is food grade. d. Must be safe for mom and baby (e.g. no sharp edges)
- 2) Ergonomics: a. Opening, dispensing & closing of the wet wipe must be doable with one hand b. It must be possible to access wipe in the packaging with a single hand and to stage the next product sheet c. Package must be easy to carry with one hand.
- 3) Dimensions: The wet wipe within the package has the following dimensions: Min Max Height 65mm 90mm Length 150mm 230mm Width 70mm 130mm
- 4) Visual: Package shape and materials must be aesthetically pleasing and provide a premium shelf appearance, while overtly addressing the sustainability angle.
- 5) Sustainability: Packaging may be improved by one or more of the below (in order of priority): - Sustainable content (no plastic), - End-of-life management (recyclable, compostable, biodegradable), - Recycled material, - Re-usability feature.
- 6) Market Readiness: 6-18 months