Our client is a leading developer of functional nano coatings and application equipment for the protection of electronic devices, supplying to manufacturers (ODM and OEM) to apply during manufacturing and assembly processes. They serve manufacturers who require increasing functionality for electronic devices, and smart coatings which allow the end product to retain all the aesthetic and performance properties it was designed with, despite demanding use by consumers and any environmental influences.
The client wishes to augment their existing platform to deliver additional functional coatings to assist manufacturers of electronic devices, in particular mobile phones. The client has identified the properties most synergistic with its capabilities and those actively pursued by their clients and end customers, and wishes to collaborate with appropriate technology partners in the areas below: -
Properties achieved by coating or surface treatment (for glass, aluminium, etc.)
- Waterproof (IPx7 and IPx8) – Solutions to protect the entire device (without use of bulky sealing parts), specifically addressing the air gaps required for the effective operation of components such as LCD, camera, speaker, microphone, sensors
- Anti-scratch – high performance to protect against everyday abrasion
- Durable anti-fingerprint – requires a permanent oleophobic (oil-repellent) surface
Details of the Technology Call
Enabling technology to achieve above properties
- Enhanced bonding for oil repellent treatments
- Selective coating/treatment in automated / high-speed environment (e.g. for combining treatments)
- Self-healing solutions (e.g. to allow durable coatings to be maintained) and longer lasting
- Non-coating solutions to complement existing coatings to provide a complete system
- Coatings to provide additional functionality (e.g. methods to create BOTH a hard and oil-repellent surface simultaneously)
- Coatings or methods to give plastic materials the same optical, mechanical, and aesthetic properties as glass (to allow the use of lower cost materials that have inherently different properties to provide functions above)
Solutions able to utilise pulsed plasma deposition / PVD / CVD are of high interest, as are those that can provide additional properties (e.g. Electro Static Discharge protection). The client is open to discuss all forms of collaboration, including licensing and acquisition. Potential solutions should have completed proof of concept and ideally be tested for an electronic device application.
What the client can offer
The company has extensive technical expertise and a proven capability of developing and commercialising manufacturing solutions for the electronics sector, and has established relationships with many of the largest global device manufacturers. Their current platform allows for the deposition of nanolayers of materials in an industrial setting, with dedicated equipment. Therefore, the client is readily able to introduce innovative new coatings, treatments and solutions to this sector, providing an excellent opportunity for companies wishing to expand their market penetration or enter new markets. The company has excellent worldwide presence in Europe, the Americas and crucially in the Asian manufacturing markets, ensuring access to both customers and their manufacturing sites. This private company is ready and able to invest in the further development and commercialisation of the best technical solutions for their markets, and is keen to identify and work with potential technology partners.
About Strategic Allies Ltd.
Innovation Intermediary from United KingdomStrategic Allies Ltd.
Open Innovation Consultancy Company searching on behalf of multi-national, manufacturing clients.
Technology Calls on Innoget are directly posted and managed by its members as well as evaluation of proposals.
Innoget is the trusted open innovation and science network aimed at directly connect industry needs with professionals online.