R&D Product Development Principal Scientist - Manager
As R&D Principal Scientist, you will be part of a diverse and fast paced team in R&D, that leads development for grain-based products, such as oatmeal, ready to eat cereal, and pancake mixes. You will be responsible to translate consumer needs into product requirements & technical parameters to launch delicious and nourishing products for US and Canada markets.
We are looking for an experienced product developer that has a passion for food and science, is able to lead complex projects, as well as mentoring / manage more junior scientist.
This role provides an excellent opportunity to deliver on strategic objectives and thrive in a collaborative team environment with R&D functions, in partnership with cross-functional roles.
What you’ll be working on:
- Lead cross functional teams through the Stage Gate process from Feasibility to Execution while ensuring a robust product & process design
- Lead a team of 1 technician and 2 Scientist to deliver on Innovation for Oatmeal, Ready-to-eat-cereal, and Pancake mix and syrups. Build technical expertise across categories.
- Translate consumer needs and market trends into strategic and tactical product innovation and renovation projects, identify and lead key technical unlocks to grow the Breakfast category
- Drive R&D agenda with cross functional teams both internally in R&D and within the business
- Deliver complex projects by solving for robust product design and execution while leveraging expertise in food chemistry and food ingredient functionality
- Work together with a cross-functional team to design and develop new products, formulate lab prototypes, and lead scale-up the prototypes via pilot plant trials and final manufacturing plants
- Lead technical and business risk assessment / perspectives related to new product development, as well as product reformulations in support of Brand Stewardship
- Design and execute experiments following good scientific protocol, and analyze / interpret data to make sound technical recommendations on product and process issues
- Collect data and analyze using statistical methods. Leverage external and internal experts for key analytical and sensory research.
- Perform basic economic evaluations on ingredient usage in product formulations
- Partner with R&D disciplines, such as Quality Assurance, Food Safety, Nutrition, Regulatory, to ensure a robust, safe and legal product design
- Leverage internal expertise such as Technology Applications and Platforms teams, as well as partner externally to source ingredients and leverage vendor expertise in ingredient functionality.
- COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment for this role. Please note that all such company vaccine requirements provide the opportunity to request an approved accommodation or exemption under applicable law
- BSc in chemical/electrical/food engineering, material science, food/dairy science, chemistry or other related applied science/engineering/technology disciplines; Master or PhD preferred.
- 10 years’ experience with a CPG company with min 5 years in Product Development
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills
- Experience leading/coordinating cross-functional and cross-regional teams
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, think on their feet, and execute with speed
- Detail oriented individual who can manage and partner across R&D functions during product development life cycles that include new idea generation, prototype development, product optimization, production start-up and national launching of new products
- Product Development – Deep Knowledge of ingredient function, formulation, mass balances.
- Process Development – Knowledge of Grain-based products; Oatmeal, Ready to eat cereal, Pancake mix, baked products
- Food Production — Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Project management - Experience managing technical projects for several complexities, setting up the agenda and building timelines to meeting deadlines
- Effective Communication skills to work with the whole value chain of the company.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in stressful, fast-paced situations, with the personal leadership to influence and positively motivate self and peers.
- Team player (good interpersonal skills, able to inspire/lead others)
- Positive, "can do" attitude, creative mindset to look for out-of-the- box solutions, both for innovation and technical challenges.
- Project Management skills: RACI matrix, Critical Paths, Gantt Charts, Resource management.
Relocation Eligible: Not Eligible for Relocation
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
- Mid-Senior Level
- Food & Beverages
- R&D Manager