R&D Associate Principal Scientist
The R&D Associate Principal Scientist will bring a unique set of food science and culinary experience to lead R&D projects in the space of shelf stable Meals, Condiments, Sauces and Side Dishes. This role will utilize strong food science skills while leveraging culinary education/experience to drive culinary rooted new product development. Be the R&D face for assigned projects that are time bound and tied to the business goals. This role will lead refresh, reframe and breakthrough product and process development across the shelf stable platform of products. R&D new projects could include new idea generation, prototype development, product optimization, process development, process scale-up, and production start-up for test market and national launch of new products for the PFNA team.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Lead the develop and launch of shelf stable Meals (pasta and grain based), Sauces, Condiments, Side Dishes & other high moisture foods Innovation through development of right ingredients, formulation, process technologies, and packaging interaction.
- Work closely with culinary innovation partners and bring in strong drive to keep culinary at the forefront of new product designs. Drive innovative shelf stable food product solutions that meets consumer needs and augment new product designs by using culinary skills to develop superior food products.
- Develop and support other junior members in the group to drive culinary and science based food product design. Drive culture of food centricity in the ways of working for meals, sauces, condiments category of products. Communicate and reinforce culinary culture in product development.
- Explore new ingredients, products, and processes leveraging internal and external resources.
- Work with Product Supply and Co-Manufacturing facilities to evaluate, qualify, and commercialize additional platform capacity.
- Design and execute experiments. Analyze and interpret data to make sound technical recommendations on product and process issues. Communicate impact to the business.
- Coordinate production at bench top, pilot plant, and manufacturing levels for shelf life, stability, sales samples, scale-up, and other needs.
- Heavy interaction and direct engagement with Contract Manufacturing & Ingredient Suppliers.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across R&D and non-R&D functions including, Procurement, Co-Manufacturing, Quality, SRA, and Legal.
- Provide trial and commercialization support to products at co-manufacturing facilities.
- Effectively manage multiple projects (new, existing) and project types (Innovation, Productivity, and Brand Stewardship), develop work streams, define resource needs and drive alignment.
- Input, review, and finalize formula specifications and ingredient specifications.
- Actively participate in Marketing Research including focus groups, consumer research, etc..
- Perform basic economic evaluations on ingredients, suppliers, and formulations.
- Represent R&D on multi-functional business teams, comprised of individuals from a variety of disciplines, including Marketing, Purchasing, Engineering and other groups.
- Influence others through strong communication & interpersonal skills.
- COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment for this role. Please note that all such company vaccine requirements provide the opportunity to request an approved accommodation or exemption under applicable law
• M.S., or B.S. degree in Food Science or related field with 5+ years of relevant work experience – ideally from high moisture shelf stable foods, and/or pasta / grain based meals experience.
• Culinary education like Bachelors in Culinology or Certification highly recommended. Examples include Certified Culinary Scientist (CCS®), other culinary certifications from industry recognized organization like Research Chefs Association or similar.
• Strong knowledge in ingredient functionality & formulation chemistry, and demonstration of product innovation.
• Experience with grains, pasta, dairy ingredient processing, and beans / legumes product development, scale-up and commercialization. Experience in high moisture shelf stable foods.
• Strong working knowledge of experimental design & product development protocols (from concept to execution), including formulation, stability testing, product/package interaction, sensory and consumer testing methodology.
• Possess strong work ethic and ability to be a self-starter.
• Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a dynamic and fast-paced environment as well as manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Adapts to change well with the personal leadership to influence and positively motivate self and peers.
• Outstanding teamwork and communication skills.
• Strong organization, documentation, and formula management skills.
Skills & Responsibilities:
• Technical skills in applying scientific principles to solve new problems.
• People leadership skills to work effectively with R&D and cross functional teams.
• Networking, collaboration and influence skills to drive decisions while bringing others along, at above and below level.
• Proven ability to manage multiple assignments and tasks.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written. High-level expertise with PowerPoint and presentation writing.
• Demonstrate understanding of how to incorporate business needs into technical decisions.
• Willingness to travel (30%) and the ability and interest to work in a laboratory, pilot plant and manufacturing scale environments in a Food Company.
Relocation Eligible: Eligible for Standard Relocation
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
- Food & Beverages
- R&D Manager