Summary of the technology
Stereotactic neurosurgery is a minimally invasive form of surgical intervention that makes use of a three dimensional coordinate system, attached to the skull of the patient, to precisely navigate surgical instruments to a specific position within the patient’s brain.
In this context, the pPlates is a novel localizer tool which suited for fully automatic detection through a fiducial ball arrangements. The invention can be used at neurosurgical departments that offer stereotactic interventions with frames as it is compatible with existing stereotactic base
- Better comfort than current systems and a lower psychological stress to the patient by increasing the headspace on the stereotactic base frame.
- Suited for fully automatic detection.
- Extremely accurate when using automatic algorithms.
- Suitable for 2D/3D registration
- Immediate post-operative Xray can be carried out with the pPlates mounted on the stereotactic frame.
TECHNOLOGY AND IP STATUS
- Patent pending
- 3D printed prototype has been produced and extensive theoretical accuracy simulations have been carried out.
- Test in a real clinical operating room setting has been carried out.
- Only small changes are needed to apply the system to other commercial stereotactic base frames.
University of Luxembourg
Research & Technology Organization
About University of Luxembourg
Research & Technology Organization from LuxembourgUniversity of Luxembourg
The University of Luxembourg, founded in 2003, is a European research university with a distinctly international, multilingual and interdisciplinary character. It is a modern institution with a personal atmosphere, close to European institutions, innovative companies and the financial place.
With nearly 6,200 students and about 1,700 employees from all over the globe, the University offers a unique mix of international excellence and national relevance, delivering knowledge for society and businesses. The University has three faculties and three interdisciplinary centers:
• The Faculty of Science, Technology and Communication (FSTC)
• The Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance (FDEF)
• The Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education (FLSHASE)
• The Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT)
• The Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB)
• Luxembourg Centre for Contemporary and Digital History (C²DH)