Summary of the technology
Composition of metal-semiconductor nanoparticles for the generation of reactive species (radicals, peroxides) in solution.
This project covers different embodiments that have other researchers involved on different subsets (therapeutics, photoinitiators). For example, there is a biological aspect, whereby a biological assay is a result of a pathway started with reactive species generation.
Project ID : 9-2015-3191
Description of the technology
Photo-catalysis, light, compounds,
Current development stage
TRL4 Technology validated in lab
The current commercial photo-initiators are unsuitable for radical-polymerization of adhesive coatings and 2&3D printing due to their poor water solubility, low efficiency and restricted suitability to the emerging LED technology.
There is an evolving need for more efficient photo-initiators in the 3D biomedical industry which develops scaffold for tissue engineering, smart capsules for drug delivery, dental implants, etc.
- We developed a novel platform technology based on photocatalytic colloidal quantum nano-materials. The novel catalysts for light-induced REDOX reactions and reactive species formation enable significant advantages such as:
- Efficient photocatalytic activity
- Superior single and two-photon light sensitivity
- High solubility in various solvents including water
- High stability allowing prolonged use and multi-functionality
- Wide and tunable absorption spectra suitable for excitation in the near UV-VIS range
Our nano-materials can efficiently and continuously produce reactive species on demand by near UV-VIS light excitation in both organic and aqueous solvents, allowing the replacement of the traditional polymerization processes currently done in organic solvents and/or with deep UV light sources.
Photo-catalysis, the enhancement of chemical reactions by light, is a powerful approach, beneficial for a wide-range of innovative industries.
The wide range of applications of the current developments covers among others:
- Water soluble photo-initiators for 2&3D printing
- Functional coatings
- Controlled peroxidase based diagnosis and sensing
- Antibacterial activity
- High-Spatial & temporal resolution
- Waste consumption
- Green Hydrogen fuel production
- Water purification
- Methane emission reduction