Summary of the technology
Project ID : 6-2008-1996
Yousef Najajreh, Al Quds University
- A growing number of peoples worldwide are suffering from the health consequences of obesity.
- As for today, Only one drug is currently approved for long-treatment of obesity-the lipase inhibitor Xenical. Use of this product has been limited by side effects.
- The patent is covering Novel Active Compounds –derivatives of fatty acids and amino acids which may regulate feeding and body weight.
- Compound X (the leading compound) and its derivatives represent novel compounds for the treatment of obesity which do not act on either CB1, TRPV1 or PPAR-α receptors (tested by MSD for receptor bindingactivity).
- The compounds present new mechanisms of action (via POMC, NPY or FAAH (Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase) inhibition in relation to known compounds on the market: Xenical (Lipase inhibition), Reductil (NE-5HT re-uptake inhibitor) and Rimonobant (CB1 receptor antagonist) (removed recently from the market).
- Patent on new compounds which are small natural, organic molecules.
- The Compounds are made of natural products which may be given orally and act in a dose-dependent manner.
- Three (3) compounds improve also cognitive function as well3 compounds reduced glucose level.
- No toxicity was found following in-vivo experiments in mice, detecting survival, neurological score and liver histopathology.
- There is a clear opportunity for an effective and well-tolerated anti-obesity drugs. Weight loss continued for 31 days after cessation of treatment and then leveled off.
- Non toxic.