Summary of the technology
Novel Compounds for the treatment of obesity
Project ID : 6-2008-1996
Yousef Najajreh, Al Quds University
Reducing Body Weight and Glucose Levels & Improving Cognitive Function
Small molecule, obesity
Successful demonstration of efficacy in mice
US Granted patent no. 9,428,448
Novelty and IP Status
- The patent is covering Novel Active Compounds –derivatives of fatty acids and amino acids which may regulate feeding and body weight
- Compound X (the leading compound) and its derivatives represent novel compounds for the treatment of obesity which do not act on either CB1, TRPV1 or PPAR-α receptors (tested by MSD for receptor binding activity).
- The compounds present new mechanisms of action (via POMC, NPY or FAAH (Fatty Acid Amide Hydrolase) inhibition in relation to known compounds on the market: Xenical (Lipase inhibition), Reductil (NE-5HT re-uptake inhibitor) and Rimonobant (CB1 receptor antagonist) (removed recently from the market).
- They are made of natural products which may be given orally and act in a dose-dependent manner
- 3 compounds improve also cognitive function as well3 compounds reduced glucose levels
- No toxicity was found following in vivo experiments in mice ,detecting survival, neurological score and liver histopathology
- There is a clear opportunity for an effective and well-tolerated anti-obesity drugs. Weight loss continued for 31 days after cessation of treatment and then leveled off.
- Patent on new compounds which are small natural, organic molecules
- Non toxic
- Can be delivered orally or by injection
- Effects resemble beneficial effects of moderate caloric restriction
- Reduce glucose blood levels
- Improve cognition
- Continuing studies to determine optimal dosage levels and intervals
- Toxicology studies
- The effect on metabolic markers for diabetes and CVD
- 1.1 billion people worldwide are suffering from the health consequences of overconsumption
- Only one drug is currently approved for long-treatment of obesity-the lipase inhibitor Xenical. Use of this product has been limited by side effects.