Summary of the technology
The inventionconcernsthe technology of modifying dyeing substance by binding it with antimicrobial agent. In particular, silver or zinc oxide nanoparticles are embedded into the structure of indigo dye. As-modified colouring agent serves to dyeingthe textile material which in turn gets constant antimicrobial properties.The advantage over existing technologies is due to the fact that silver nanoparticles are obtained in-situ in the process of formation indigo dye. Using environment friendly substances makes that the technology is safe.
Description of the technology
The technology concerns binding of silver or zinc oxide nanoparticles with indigo dye which results in obtaining modified colouring agent. This product serves for further dyeing of textile materials. The combination of nanosilver or nanometric zinc oxide with textile material preserves garments made from it from microbial contamination. So-far produced antimicrobial materials are susceptiblefor leaching of antimicrobial agents. This is because nanoparticles are deposed on textile surface and they may be easily removed as a result of washing. Here, antimicrobial nanoparticles are constantly embedded in the textile surface and thus their elution is limited or inhibited. In particular, silver nanoparticles are obtained in-situ in the process of indigo dye formation. Nanosilver is obtained by chemical reduction in aqueous phase. The aqueous solution of tannic acid acts as a silver ion reducer and nanoparticle stabilizer.This plant-origin compound makes that the process is environment friendly. The advantage over existing technologies is due to:
- effective protection of clothing against microbial contamination,
- providing resistance to leaching of antimicrobial agents from dyed textile,
- possibility of adaptation of existing technological lines,
- no need for engaging of specialized equipment,
- basing on cleaner technologies and sustainable development.
It is anticipated that so-produced textiles will serve for manufacturing garments used in these branches of industry in which the hygiene aspects have crucial importance, i.e. food industry, health care, agriculture. The technology may be applied in markets of nanomaterials, innovative dyes and textiles with antimicrobial properties.
Cracow University of Technology
Technology Transfer Office
About Cracow University of Technology
Technology Transfer Office from PolandCracow University of Technology
Cracow University of Technology:
- educates highly qualified engineers who can cope with national and global industry challenges,
- educates academic staff by supporting the development of their scientific passion and their participation in national and international scientific exchange,
- serves the economy and the whole society by solving technical and technological problems and by implementing scientific studies into economic practice.