Summary of the technology
The subject of the new invention is new drug developed by researchers of the Jagiellonian University is intended for treatment and prevention of viral infections caused by coronaviruses in humans, including respiratory diseases manifested by impaired respiratory function – application in biotechnology & medicine.
New and innovative aspects
Coronaviruses (CoV) cause many diseases in humans and animals; in particular, human pathogens include HCoV-229E, HCoV-NL63, HCoV-OC43, HCoV-HKU1 and SARS-CoV. The latter causes a condition called Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) – an atypical pneumonia that first appeared in China in 2002. Until now, no effective cure for SARS has been introduced into the clinic, and the treatment of that disease is merely symptomatic. Viruses of this group are also responsible for serious diseases in animals. This fact is important not only in terms of the risk of transmission into human population (the SARS case), but also – in the case of farming animals – for economic reasons.
The new invention of the Jagiellonian University, which is the subject of the proposed offer, discloses a new drug for the treatment of human A virus (IAV) infection.
Main advantages of its use
The main advantages of the offered drug are:
- Confirmed ability to efficient bind of coronaviruses and inhibit their replication in vitro and/or ex vivo.
- Modified chitosan has antibacterial and antifungal activity, which is an additional advantage of the offered polymer.
- The possibility to apply as a solution or spray administrated either topically to the upper respiratory tract (throat, nose, bronchial tree), orally in the case of gastrointestinal infections or intravenously for systemic therapy.
The goal of the invention was to develop a substance inhibiting replication of coronaviruses, which would find application in prevention or therapy of infections caused by these viruses in human organisms. Unexpectedly the researchers at the Jagiellonian University developed a substance as a medicine which may find the application thereof.
- A new drug developed by researchers of the Jagiellonian University is intended for treatment and prevention of viral infections caused by coronaviruses in humans, including respiratory diseases manifested by impaired respiratory function – application in biotechnology & medicine.
Intellectual property status
A new drug for treatment and prevention of viral infections caused by coronaviruses in humans, including respiratory diseases manifested by impaired respiratory function, is the subject of several international patent applications: Poland, EPO, USA, Canada, Japan, China, India.
Current development status
Working prototype or samples ready for testing.
Desired business relationship
- commercial agreement
- licence aggreement
- technical cooperation – further development
- technical cooperation – adaptation to specific needs
About Centre Technology Transfer CITTRU
Technology Transfer Office from PolandCentre Technology Transfer CITTRU
Centre for Innovation, Technology Transfer and University Development (CITTRU) is a part of Jagiellonian University, whose role is to promote university research, to support innovation and to create cooperation with the business. CITTRU main task is to offer the scientific achievements of the Jagiellonian University in the market by providing legal protection, licensing, sale of intellectual property rights, creation of academic business, coordination of company-ordered research projects, etc. Currently promoted technologies are mainly focused on new materials science, pharmacology and medical technology. Inventions offered by Jagiellonian University are promoted and awarded during numerous exhibitions, e.g. 58th International Exhibition of Innovation, Research and New Technologies INNOVA (BRUSSELS 2009), 38th International Exhibition of Invention New Techniques & Products (Geneva 2010) or 24th International exhibition of environmental equipment, technologies and services POLLUTEC (Paris 2009).