Summary of the technology
Electronic device capable of detecting lactic acid in sweat, in real time, through screen-printed electrodes. The device includes an enzymatic biosensor capable of measuring the specific activity of the enzyme lactate oxidase on lactic acid, substance generated during physical exercise and partly excreted through sweat.
New and innovative aspects
- At present, no measuring device capable of lactic acid in sweat is recognized.
- Currently it has not been detected any device capable of measuring lactic acid in sweat
- Lactate is a good indicator of the level of physical effort of a person, and plays an important role in sports medicine, where its determination is useful for monitoring respiratory failure, shock, heart failure and metabolic disorders.
- The device is autonomous and portable and includes all electrical and electronic elements necessary to perform the measurement without connecting to an external device.
- The device includes a miniaturized potentiostat and the biosensor, disposable, single-use, and replaceable for each measurement.
Main advantages of its use
- Simple measures, just with the contact between the electrode and the sweat
- Non-invasive measures, unlike those that can be made through blood, which require long and complex procedures
- Real-Time measurements
- A small amount of sweat is required, one drop, for the measurement, consuming a low voltage
- The measurement obtained is transformed into digital signal and transmitted to the user
The biosensor is a disposable system comprising three screen-printed electrodes on a flexible textile support. It has the ability to extract information from the biological system and quantify the signal into electrical current. In contact with sweat, the electrical signal will be modified in proportion to the concentration of lactic acid, allowing its quantitative measurements. The biosensor requires a potentiostat to work.
Sports Equipment and Health.
Intellectual property status
Current development status
Desired business relationship
Trade Agreement, License Agreement, Technical cooperation: further development, Technical Cooperation: testing of new applications; Technical Cooperation: adaptation to specific needs.
About UNIVERSIDAD DE BURGOS
Technology Transfer Office from SpainUNIVERSIDAD DE BURGOS
The aim of the The Technology Transfer Office (TTO) of the Univesidad de Burgos is to promote Innovation technology through the reseach results transfer and the conexions between the University and the new needs and requirements of the society - we are the link between the University and the Industry. Contact person: José Manuel López (firstname.lastname@example.org)