Summary of the technology
Small compounds that interfere with QS, therefore, offer a new approach to the development of novel antimicrobial and anti-biofilm agents
TZD10 was found to be highly active
Project ID : 12-2007-1866
Description of the technology
- Quorum sensing takes place in biofilms where microbes such as bacteria and fungi are at close proximity to one another
- Inter species quorum sensing may affect microbes’ physiology and virulence properties, resulting in the enhanced virulent properties of biofilms
- Prevents formation of biofilms as well as disruption of existing biofilms
- Many applications in health, water systems, for sterilization of large surfaces, such as walls and floors, in prevention of biofouling and bioerosion
Synthesis of novel thiazolidinediones that present a new anti-microbial approach by interfering with the quorum sensing of bacteria and fungi in biofilms.
Application for use:
- Development for use as a non-antibiotic approach to infection therapy.
- Medical applications to prevent biofilms in catheters and tubing; large surface sterilization.
- Useful in any water system to counteract biofouling – filtration membranes, air conditioning, desalination and more...
- Prevention of biofouling of irrigation systems using recycled water.
- Compounds used are not lethal to bacteria – they are used at concentrations lower than the MIC (minimal inhibitory concentration) - greatly reduces the development of resistance.
- Can be used together with known antibiotics and biocides at much lower concentrations.
- May be used to prevent formation of biofilms as well as disruption of existing biofilms.