Summary of the technology
HU-308, a synthetic cannabinoid has demonstrated in vivo anti-osteoporotic efficacy of agonist highly specific for CB2 that concomitantly restrains bone resorption and stimulates bone formation. HU-308 has no psychotropic or anti-annorexigenic activities and is orally bioavailable YZ 8Feb11-HU-433- (from project 2159) Integrated with this project (Fatty-acid-derived therapy for osteoporosis and other skeletal deficits deficits)
Project ID : 6-2006-229
Description of the technology
New and innovative aspects
HU-308, a synthetic cannabinoid has demonstrated in vivo anti-osteoporotic efficacy of agonist highly specific for CB2 that concomitantly restrains bone resorption and stimulates bone formation. HU-308 has no psychotropic or anti-annorexigenic activities and is orally bioavailable YZ 8Feb11-HU-433- (from project 2159) Integrated with this project (Fatty-acid-derived therapy for osteoporosis and other skeletal deficits deficits)Project ID : 6-2006-229
Cannabinoid agonist restrains bone resorption and stimulates bone formation
Bone formation, osteoporosis, fracture healing, endossseous implants agonist for peripheral cannabinoid receptor
In vivo proof of principle; expanded pre-clinical experiments
Patent portfolio at various stages (from provisional to granted patents_
Currently, the osteoporosis, fracture healing and enhancement of endosseous implant anchorage drug market is worth $20.0 billion
- Osteoporosis is characterized by an imbalance between bone formation and resorption resulting in net bone loss and increased susceptibility to fractures. In addition, complications associated with bone fractures and anchorage of bone implants are increasing because of the increased life expectancy and associated increase in fracture incidence and and insufficient bone formation required to support the implants.
- Most anti-osteoporotic drugs in clinical use, such as bisphosphonates, estrogen, and calcitonin are anti-resorptive and used mainly to prevent postmenopausal bone loss. Use of PTH(1-34), the only clinically approved bone anabolic agent, is restricted to two years, because of bone cancer risk. Enhancement of fracture healing and implant anchorage by bone anabolic agents gained limited clinical success, mainly because of their proteinous nature.
- Signaling of the peripheral cannabinoid receptor (CB2) is involved in the regulation of bone remodelling, slowing down and rescueing bone loss
- A highly potent synthetic cannabinoid agonist, which is specific for CB2 and therefore not psychoactive. It inhibits bone resorption and stimulates bone formation.
- Attenuates and reverses bone loss: restores bone mass and architecture.
- No psychotropic or anti-annorexigenic activities.
- Development Milestones
- Further development of this treatment for the osteoporosis indication involves the standard path, e.g., toxicology, mutagenesis, in vivo pharmacology, stability studies and clinical trials. Proof of concept is still required for the fracture healing and implant anchorage indictions.
- Osteoporosis is the most prevalent degenerative disease in developed countries. The number of patients is expected to increase to 50 million in 2015.
- The global market for bisphosphonates, the most commonly prescribed class of drugs for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, is approaching $10 billion and is growing rapidly.
- Complications associated with fracture healing and implant anchorage are extremely common in orthopaedic and dental surgery.
Shoshana KeynanVP, Head of Business Development, Healthcare
Itai BabHUJI, Faculty of Dental MedicineBone laboratory
Raphael MechoulamHUJI, School of PharmacyMedicinal chemistry & Natural products
About Yissum - Research Development Company of the Hebrew University
Technology Transfer Office from IsraelYissum - Research Development Company of the Hebrew University
Yissum Research Development Company of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem Ltd. Founded in 1964 to protect and commercialize the Hebrew University’s intellectual property. Ranked among the top technology transfer companies, Yissum has registered over 8,900 patents covering 2,500 inventions; has licensed out 800 technologies and has spun-off 90 companies. Products that are based on Hebrew University technologies and were commercialized by Yissum generate today over $2 Billion in annual sales.