Summary of the technology
The most remarkable advantages provided by this technology are:
• Rapidity of the metallic nanoparticle synthetic method, as it consists of only one step.
• Efficiency, since size, shape and concentration of nanoparticles are controlled, as well as, their production in organic or inorganic soluble solution.
• Reduced production costs, as high temperatures are required by other alternative laser ablation methods.
Description of the tech for sale
Different procedures for the synthesis and covering of inert metallic nanoparticles have been developed during the two last decades, like suspension of metallic and silicon nanoparticles, synthesis by organic solvent addition or several laser ablation methods. Nevertheless, currently used methods show disadvantages, such as they consist of several steps, need high temperatures (500-1000 ºC) for the synthesis, etc. Thus, an increase of production costs is caused. Researchers from University of Valencia have developed a new procedure for the synthesis of inert metallic nanoparticles with only one step.
Method for obtaining stable colloid of inert metal nanoparticles in a single step comprising the laser ablation of a solid target submerged in a liquid medium containing metal salts. The nanoparticles synthesised using the aforementioned method have a controlled morphology and size and a high SPR absorbance intensity in a narrow wavelength range. This method lets production of nanoparticles in a rapid way and at low temperature, controlling size, shape and concentration of nanoparticles.
Main advantages of its use
- See “New and innovative aspects” section
- The main application of the technology is in the production of inert metallic nanoparticles, for their use in the following sectors:• In cosmetics, to improve biodisponibility and features of compounds for product development (i.e. sun protection creams).• In pharmaceutics, to improve drug delivery.• In biotechnology, to trace and functionalize organic molecules and to develop biosensors, taking advantage of surface plasmon resonance (SPR) properties of metallic nanoparticles.• In petrochemical and chemical industry, as catalysers.
About Universitat de València
Public Agency from SpainUniversitat de València
The University of Valencia, founded over five centuries ago by the Juries of Valencia, is a modern European public University, open to almost all branches of knowledge: social, economic and legal sciences, Basic experimental sciences, engineering and Tehcniques, health sciences, educational sciences and the humanities. More than 41,000 undergraduate students, 4,000 postgraduate students, 2,000 students from other universities all over the world, take classes taught by more than 4,000 professors, lectures and researchers at our campuses (more than 440.000 square meters) with the support of over 1,700 administration and service staff. Our university community is committed to being a university of reference: we are ranked 4º in Europe in receiving Erasmus students and 5ª in sending of students (Ranking Erasmus Mobility); It is fourth spanish university in research at the international level, ranking between 201 and 300, according to Shanghai Jiao Tong University Rankings. The University of Valencia is working in a wide range of investigative fields. The results of this activity are applied in a variety of productive sectors and social areas. Information of interest for businesses and public bodies about the Scientific and Technological Capacity of the University of Valencia is made available and offered for socioeconomic transfer through its Research Results Transfer Office (OTRI). The OTRI is a service that manages and assesses in the generation and transfer of University knowledge towards the industry, encouraging the University role as an active agent in the economic and social development; makes easier the access to the University of Valencia research facilities; manage the intellectual property of the research results produced in the University and carry out its valorisation for efficient transfer, and offers orientation of university research groups towards the needs of Business, promoting and guiding effective relationships for exchange of knowledge applied to the needs of social and industrial environment, making easier its information dissemination and transfer.