Summary of the technology
Due to the rising emission of methane and its extensive contribution to the greenhouse effect, the reduction of CH4 emissions from low-caloric anthropogenic sources is currently a vital importance. The main sources of the methane emission are: exploitation of oil pools, coal mining, pas power stations, landfills, agriculture and biomass. The most popular method of the reduction of methane is its catalytic combustion. Unfortunately, this method has few limitations associated mainly with hard activation of the C-H bond in CH4 and low concentrations of methane in the emitted gases. The catalytic oxidation of methane is limited also by the very large airflows (of order 105 m3/min), passing through the catalyst bed during the process. There is still a lack on the market of a technological solution based on total catalytic combustion of CH4 in the economically reasonable low-temperature window, i.e. below 400 °C.
The most popular method among the methods limiting the emission of methane to the atmosphere is the one based on its catalytic combustion. However, this procedure has disadvantages, mainly due to the high activation energy of methane molecules and also because of the low concentration of methane emitted from anthropogenic sources. There is no technology allowing effectively combusting of methane with the concentration of 1-2 % and in the economically justified temperatures, i.e. lower than 400 °C.
The fundamental advantages of offered solutions are:
- method for preparing catalysts that ensures the repeatability of the parameters and high efficiency in the reactions of methane combustion,
- increased both the activity and the thermal stability of the catalysts in comparison with other systems described in the literature,
- possibility of using the catalysts in the total oxidation of methane emitted from the low-caloric sources at temperatures below 400 °C.
Description of the technology
The subjects of the offer are the catalysts for the low-temperature combustion of methane and method of their preparation. The compositions of the catalysts guarantee high activity of the materials and resistance to other components present in the gas stream. Moreover, developed method of catalysts synthesis leads to reproducible properties of the final products. It is simple and can be easily scaled up to an industrial scale. Experimental tests confirm the effectiveness of the catalysts in the range of low and medium temperatures. It was found, that the conversion of methane is up to 90% at temperatures below 400 °C, wherein the only decomposition products are water and carbon dioxide.
The offer relates to 2 inventions: Multicomponent oxide catalyst for low-temperature oxidation of methane and the method for preparation thereof and the oxide catalyst supported on the carrier for low-temperature combustion of methane from sources of low-calorie and method for its preparation. The multicomponent catalyst have a crystalline, non-porous form with the characteristic features of its grain morphology and the texture as natural consequences of the method of its preparation. The invention is a proposal meeting the need of reduction the methane as a one of the most important greenhouse gases. The catalyst may be applied for total oxidation of methane, originating from the low calorific sources, at temperatures below 400 °C. The characteristic features of the supported oxide catalyst related to its structure and morphology are traced back to the preparation procedure. The catalyst can be applied for combustion of lean methane at temperatures below 500 °C. composition of the catalyst assures its high efficiency, and the applied preparation method permits to obtain the catalytic materials of reproducible parameters.
Main advantages of its use
- The catalyst may be used in the case of low-calorific sources
- The composition of the catalysts provides high activity in low and medium temperatures and increased resistance to other components of the gas stream
- The introduced structural additives improve both, catalytic activity and thermal stability of the catalysts, as well as its mechanical properties
- The method of catalyst preparation provides its reproducible properties, is relatively simple and easily adaptable to an industrial scale
- Key expected outcome associated with the use of the catalyst of the invention is the possibility of its use for reduction of methane originating from low-caloric sources at relatively low temperatures. The implementation of the invention impacts strongly on lowering of the concentration of one of the most harmful greenhouse gases. This invention is dedicated to the low-caloric sources of methane, such as: exploitation of oil pools, coal mining, pas power stations, landfills, agriculture and biomass.
About Centre Technology Transfer CITTRU
Technology Transfer Office from PolandCentre Technology Transfer CITTRU
Centre for Innovation, Technology Transfer and University Development (CITTRU) is a part of Jagiellonian University, whose role is to promote university research, to support innovation and to create cooperation with the business. CITTRU main task is to offer the scientific achievements of the Jagiellonian University in the market by providing legal protection, licensing, sale of intellectual property rights, creation of academic business, coordination of company-ordered research projects, etc. Currently promoted technologies are mainly focused on new materials science, pharmacology and medical technology. Inventions offered by Jagiellonian University are promoted and awarded during numerous exhibitions, e.g. 58th International Exhibition of Innovation, Research and New Technologies INNOVA (BRUSSELS 2009), 38th International Exhibition of Invention New Techniques & Products (Geneva 2010) or 24th International exhibition of environmental equipment, technologies and services POLLUTEC (Paris 2009).