Summary of the technology
The developed system has the following innovations:
• The system allows dynamically adjusting the compression/decompression time delay to the needs of each environment.
• The system meets timing constraints regardless of the characteristics of the image, the rate of compression, size, number of colours and resolution, as well as operating environment.
• The system overcomes issues with the predictability of operations of compression/decompression of digital images.
Description of the technology
The research group “Specialized Processors Architecture Laboratory (SPA-Lab)” of the University of Alicante has developed a digital image system that dynamically adjusts its compression/decompression time processing regardless of image characteristics. This adjustable feature allows the system to maintain quality of service (QoS) at any application, especially those with limited resources. The research group offers to industry the know-how for the adaptation and implementation of the compression system, the technology license which is protected by patent or a combination of some of these services.
Image compression methods play an important role in many applications with limited resources for viewing, storage and processing. A framework in which these limitations are obvious is the development of applications for the internet and mobile devices such as phones or PDAs. In this context, developing interfaces aimed at the end user is strongly conditioned by the time it takes to download and view multimedia data. So, it is appropriate for several applications to have control over the data processing time to adapt available resources and to maintain a suitable quality of service. For those applications it is a priority to meet timing constraints either for viewing by the user or as input to another application. Classic image compression algorithms reduce the image size using compression rate, without taking into account the processing time and the specific requirements of the application. The presented system provides a novel aspect because it allows setting the completion time of compression/decompression of images, thus overcoming disadvantages concerning non predictability of processing. This system works this way regardless of the compression rate, size, number of colours and image resolution. The proposed system consists of functional modules required to run the processing of compression/decompression that is described below. The operation scheme of the system is as follows: the system receives a digital image compressed or uncompressed and the maximum delay for processing it. Based on that information, the system is calibrated internally to run the action by compressing/decompressing the image within the stipulated time. The process of compression/decompression of digital images has become fragmented into independent subtasks with configurability through a set of parameters that calibrate its processing time. Thus, the proposed adjustable processing system determines, according to the time available, tasks not mandatory and optional that will only run when the timing constraints allow them. So, although the full processing exceeds the available time, it will be possible to obtain results on time. The proposed system consists of the following components or units: • Adjustable image processor that is responsible for processing input images to compress or decompress them by means of the compressor and decompressor units. • The time control unit determines the real-time behavior of the processing and makes the system finish in time. This system can be programmed in software to build an IT infrastructure, it can be implemented in a reconfigurable card to be incorporated directly into computers, either, the system can be manufactured into ASIC integrated circuit to be incorporated into other signal acquisition devices like digital cameras or display devices such as monitors or displays.
Main advantages of its use
- The adjustment capability of the system allows maintaining the quality of service (QoS) in images/video sequences in highly demanding environments (e.g.: high frame rate).
- The system can be implemented via software, can be built in a reconfigurable card or, can be manufactured into an integrated circuit.
- The system is real-time predictable and, therefore, it allows compatibility and integration in other more complex systems.
- Computer Graphics Related
- Data Communications
- Useful for those applications with restricted resources that maintain the quality of service (QoS) in the images/video processing is required.